ou may need to register temporarily with a GP if you become ill or need medical advice while you’re away from home – for example, if you’re working or on holiday.
You will still remain registered with your permanent GP, but you can see your temporary GP for up to three months. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.
Your temporary GP will pass details of any treatment you have to your permanent GP, who will add the information to your medical records.
Please note: If you are away at University your registered GP will be the practice you registered with at the start of your course. If you wish to be seen during visits to your home address, you will need to register as a temporary patient.
Try to have the following information with you when you see your temporary GP for the first time:
- details of any medical conditions you have
- details of medical conditions you’ve had in the past
- the name of any medicines you’re currently taking
- details of anything you’re allergic to
- contact details for your permanent or previous GP